Being A Woman

     Today is International Womens Day.  I, myself am happy to be a woman.
     I have been blessed in so many ways, my husband and son will never understand or experience themselves.  I have carried a child inside of me.  I felt each one of my children, from the first fluttering to full blown acrobatic maneuvers.  I also felt the pangs of labour, that turned me from a lovely sweet wife into Regan, from the movie The Exorcist.  All mothers can identify with that toe curling, hold your breath pain, and all husbands are fully aware of the change their wife makes in the throes of childbirth.  It's a beautiful Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde experience.
     I'm all for women's rights.  I believe in wage parody, if a woman does the same job as a man, their wage should reflect that.   However, I do not believe a woman can do everything a man can do.  They can't.   
     Women, lack the physical strength that men have.  I can hear the collective groans, but, even a strong, physically fit woman cannot keep up with a strong physically fit man for long.  Why would they want to?   
     Unfortunately, for centuries, women have been given less worth than a man.  In Asia, it's always preforable to have a son opposed to a daughter.  Girls, and women have had to fight and struggle to prove their worth in the world.  It's a sad and unfortunate truth, but it is still the truth.
     At the turn of the twentieth century, women fought hard for the right to vote.  They were given the name Suffragettes.  They were soldiers, in the feminist movement, they were bold and fearless.  They moved women into the new century along with the men.
     Somehow, the feminist movement veered sharply to the left.  Liberals, were determined that women should be allowed to do everything a man should do.  Women began burning their bras, marching, and chanting about equal rights.  I believe they went too far.
     I for one, don't want to be on the front lines in the military, just because I can.  I don't want to be doing a hard physical job, slugging a hammer for forty hours a week, just because I can.  
     I would rather, do what I am able, because I can.  I believe we have crossed over into a dangerous territory, because we feel we need to prove our self worth.  I think we are confusing confidence with strength.  Women have both, but we are still different than men.
     Women can do things men can't.  I don't see men breaking their neck to carry a child and give birth.  We are different.  These differences should be celebrated, they are what make us men and women.  God created Eve from the rib of Adam. Not from his foot, to be stepped on, not from his hand, to serve him, not from his back, to walk behind him, from his side, to walk beside him.
     Women have always been different from men, and they will always be different, that's what makes us unique.
     I enjoy being a woman.  Sure, periods and menopause aren't fun, but overall, it's been a wonderful journey.
Here is a poem, written about women.  I have always loved it, I hope you enjoy it as well.



When God created woman he was working late on the 6th day.......
An angel came by and asked." Why spend so much time on her?"
The lord answered. "Have you seen all the specifications I have to meet to shape her?"
She must function on all kinds of situations, She must be able to embrace several kids at the same time, Have a hug that can heal anything from a bruised knee to a broken heart, She must do all this with only two hands," She cures herself when sick and can work 18 hours a day"
THE ANGEL was impressed" Just two hands.....impossible!
And this is the standard model?"
The Angel came closer and touched the woman" "But you have made her so soft, Lord". "She is soft", said the Lord, "But I have made her strong. You can't imagine what she can endure and overcome"
"Can she think?" The Angel asked... The Lord answered. "Not only can she think, she can reason and negotiate"
The Angel touched her cheeks.... "Lord, it seems this creation is leaking! You have put too many burdens on her" "She is not leaking...it is a tear" The Lord corrected the Angel…
"What's it for?" Asked the Angel..... . The Lord said. "Tears are her way of expressing her grief, her doubts, her love, her loneliness, her suffering and her pride."...
This made a big impression on the Angel, "Lord, you are a genius. You thought of everything. A woman is indeed marvellous"
Lord said."Indeed she is. She has strength that amazes a man. She can handle trouble and carry heavy burdens. She holds happiness, love and opinions. She smiles when she feels like screaming. She sings when she feels like crying, cries when happy and laughs when afraid. She fights for what she believes in.
Her love is unconditional. Her heart is broken when a next-of-kin or a friend dies but she finds strength to get on with life"
The Angel asked: So she is a perfect being? The lord replied: No. She has just one drawback "She often forgets what she is worth".



Comments

Popular Posts