Carpe Diem!

     Carpe Diem...is Latin, and translated means Sieze the Day.  Horace, the famous Roman poet penned this in  23 BC.  It has been quoted for centuries by university professors and educators alike, to motivate their students.  I know, I have heard it more than once.
     As I was laying in bed this morning, I could hear the birds singing, the day had begun, but I hadn't.   Truth be told, I wanted to roll over, pull my cozy flannel comforter back up and fall asleep.  It had been a restless night, my brain just wouldn't relax, and when it finally did, I had bizarre dreams that continued to wake me up every hour.
     At 6:30, I threw my cozy comforter off and hobbled out to the kitchen.  Maybe a cup of coffee would make me feel more civilized.  As I sipped my steaming brew, I didn't feel any different.  My feeling was neither happy or sad.  I felt simply ambiguous.
     This is silly I told myself.  "Get up, and get going!" I chastised myself.   My living room was filled with bags, toys and other things that I was donating to a used charity store.  I had collected, bagged and boxed it all over the past few days.  It needed to get them out.
     My floor needed to be washed, and my sectional could really benefit from a good vacuum cleaning.  But still, I sat.
     I turned on my radio.  Maybe music would get me moving.   I couldn't even remember the last song I had heard.  When music doesn't get me moving...there's a problem.
     I limped my way to my bedroom, and I could hear my husband snoring softly.  That made me smile.  At least he is sleeping well I thought.  I pulled my clothes out of my drawers, and as I was pulling my shirt over my head, I remembered one of my college teachers words...Carpe Diem...Sieze the Day.  "Even when you are unsure which direction to go, or how you should proceeded...Carpe Diem...Sieze the Day!  Pick a direction, make a choice, just keep going!"  I never really understood Horace back then, but this morning, I was going to Sieze the Day!  
     Horace, and my college teacher were right, I had to pick a direction and just go with it.  There will never be another today.  So, I needed to make the best of what I had.
     Dragging the donations to my back step, I carefully put my shoes on and loaded my car.  I was feeling better already just getting these bags and boxes out of my living room.  When I returned home, I took the cushions off my sectional and gave it a good cleaning with the vacuum.  I could feel my heart pumping my sluggish blood through my veins.  I was feeling more like me.
     I was on a roll, by 9 am, I had donated clothes and toys for other children, cleaned and vacuumed my living room, and was getting ready to wash my floor.  Carpe Diem indeed.
     I had managed to throw the veil of ambiguity off of me, and replace it with positivity.  I was determined to not be defeated by today, instead, I was going to embrace it head on and steer it in the direction I wanted it to go!
     First, however, I was going to Carpe Ottoman, sieze my ottoman, and elevate my foot.  Today, would just have to wait.

Comments

Popular Posts