March Madness

      Today is the first day of March Break, in our area.  Children, and teenagers are sleeping in, and enjoying their week of scholastic freedom.
     Today, is also forcasted to have a major winter storm, 25 cm of snow.  I can't even express how much I don't want to see anymore snow.  We are in March, so we get what we get.  That is the nature of the beast we call March.  Snow, rain, wind and sunshine, all can be experienced in one twelve hour period.
     This morning, I opened up my back door and popped my head out.  I could see the temperature on my outside thermometer, and I knew from my weather app, snow was in our immediate future, but I wanted to feel the weather...to breathe it in.  I could definitely feel inclement weather fast approaching.
      Even though nothing was happening, as far as any kind of precipitation, I could feel it.  Yup, something was coming.  There is just something about a March snowstorm that makes me nostalgic, and not necessarily in a positive way.
     Flashback to March 17, 1972, St. Patrick's Day.  I was eight years old.  My family, had two weddings to attend that day.  The first, the wedding of a family friend.  The second, my Aunt Kirk's.  
     The first wedding, was a morning wedding.  It was really mild, and I only had to wear my dress and shoes, no coat or boots.  By the time the wedding was over, there was an inch of snow on the ground, and it was snowing like a banshee.  We drove home, and ate our lunch, continuing to keep an eye on the weather.  By three pm, our whole family was shoveling our driveway.  My aunt's wedding was a candlelight service scheduled for six pm.
      At 5 pm, we left for the short drive to my grandma's home, about fifteen miles away.  It was a slow, hazardous drive due to the blowing snow.  Three feet of snow had already accumulated.
     We parked in the church parking lot, and made our way into the church.  We waited, and waited, and waited for the main event...the wedding.  It was way past seven pm, and still no bride.  My middle brother quipped, "They've eloped!"
     Finally, by 8 pm, the music began, and my aunt walked down the aisle.  At the reception, we heard why the wedding was so delayed.
     Due to the heavy snowfall, my grandma, and the wedding party couldn't drive through the unplowed streets, so they had to walk the short distance to the church.   My Aunt Marlene, began her trek.  She was the maid of honour.  Because of all the snow, she couldn't see the open man hole.  She fell in!  She had enough forethought to lift her dress up as she dropped, saving it from ruin.  There she stood, dress up over her head, waist deep in cold sludge, laughing.  My Great Uncle Lloyd, could hear my aunt, but he couldn't see her.  My grandma, and the rest of the wedding party came upon this bizarre scene.  One of them, ran back to my grandma's garage and found a rope.  They pulled my Aunt Marlene out of her freezing dungeon.  She was wet and cold, so she had to go back to my grandma's and have a quick bath to clean, and warm up.  They all had to restart their journey to the church.
     Upon hearing this story, we all laughed and we're grateful the rest of the wedding went off without a hitch.  The bride and groom had to shovel my grandma's driveway to leave on their honeymoon.
     March snowstorms, bring back crazy family memories for me.  Good, funny and cold!  I am hoping today isn't as bad as forcasted.  It is now snowing...time will tell.



   

Comments

Popular Posts