The Positive Side Of Negative

     It's funny, not in an amusing way, rather a crazy funny, in the way people think.  It is what makes the world go round.
     We all say it would be boring if everyone thought the same and shared the same beliefs.  Perhaps, but these days, I'm happy with boring.  In fact, boring is the new thrilled.  When I was younger, before I was married with children, I used to read incessantly.  In fact, an exciting Friday night was curling up in my jammies, tucked in my room, lost in a good book.  I would be a sleuth solving a mystery, a pirate sailing on the South Pacific, a pioneer homesteading in the early nineteenth century...the list goes on and on.  My adventures came from inside the pages of a novel.
     Of course, after I was married, things changed, but becoming a mother, well that's an entirety different adventure.
     Because I am a positive person by nature, it's very difficult for me to understand negative attitudes.   I know everyone has difficult days, but as a whole, most people don't have a reason for such negative and dark thoughts.  Here is where my Pollyanna comes out.   I wonder why people can't get along with one another, or, why people enjoy hearing about others misfortune.  To me, these people, are like the character Jason, from the Friday the 13th movies.  I find this concept difficult to grasp.  That old saying, different strokes for different folks, what some find offensive, others find exhilarating.
     The world is full of tragic stories, everyday we hear of terrorism, murder, robbery, abuse, earthquakes and other deadly weather phenomenon.   The news is full of these stories.  However, the world is full of inspiring stories too.  Unfortunately,  we rarely hear of these.  When did we become a society of such negatively?
     I seem to be really struggling with all of the darkness, the media reports these days.  I voiced my thoughts to my mother-in-law last week.  She actually gave me an interesting opinion on why people enjoy hearing and talking about such sadness and tragedy.   She said "I think the reason the news is full of such sadness is because so many people are going through tough times themselves.  Hearing of other people's misfortune, let's them know they are not alone, and it gives them hope that their tomorrow will be better."   Hmmm I thought, never would I have ever contemplated this view.   Maybe she is right I thought.  Afterall, even a battery needs a positive and a negative side to work.
     When I experience sad days or dark moments, I don't want to dwell on them.  I prefer to see the good in them, and believe me, sometimes it's very difficult.   But, this is me.  Others, see the opposite, and get solace in the fact they are not alone in their suffering.   Different strokes, for sure.
     Although I don't enjoy hearing of others heartbreak, others need it to cope with their own.
     Life is full of drama.  Each day is a different genre.  Some days it's a comedy, other days it's action/adventure.  Then, there are the days full of horror and sci-fi .  Regardless, life is its own drama.  I need to realize this and accept it.  I prefer my days to be full of comedy, but that's not realistic.
     These days, I'm living a Mission Impossible kind of life.  I'm hoping it will turn into Everybody's Fine.










Comments

Popular Posts