Marco And Juliet, Not A Shakespearean Tragedy

     I have a wacky sense of humor, or so I have been told.
     While hobbling around the grocery store, I could see a young mom with two young children.  She was struggling, trying to put groceries in her cart and keep an eye on her rambunctious little ones.
     Every few minutes, I could hear "Marco... Marco?"  After listening to her call for her son a few times, I couldn't help myself.  When I heard Marco?  I yelled "Polo!"  There was silence for a few seconds, but then I could hear the deep laughter of a man, from another aisle over, as well as Marco's mom saying "That's not funny!  I'm looking for my son."
     I was still chuckling as I limped my way through the grocery store.  A cute little red headed girl around the age of three was hiding behind a bin of freshly baked bread and rolls.  I knew she wasn't Marco.  The flustered mother wheeled around the bakery aisle and yelled "Juliet!  I have been looking for you and your brother for five minutes!"
     I assumed at that point, little Miss Juliet would be delegated to the balcony of the grocery cart, instead of the Shakespeare inspired balcony.  However, her mother let her walk beside the cart as she continued shopping.   "Tisk, tisk." I said to myself.   "That's a mistake."  I, was speaking from experience.
     A short time later, I heard "Juliet...Juliet?"  I, was thinking Wherefore art thou Juliet?  I couldn't help myself.  This time, I managed to restrain my vocal chords, and only thought my smarta*s remark.  Apparently, I wasn't the only smarta*s shopping.  A crystal clear baritone voice echoed my thought..."Wherefore art thou Juliet?"  
     There were cackles, giggles, and stifled laughs, as this frazzled mother was desperately trying to locate her two wayward children.   A little boy with strawberry blonde hair ran into the back of me.  I quickly grabbed him and said "Hello Marco."  He looked at me with big beautiful blue eyes and asked me how I knew his name.  I smiled at him and told him "Honey, everyone in this store knows your name, not to mention your sisters name as well.
     We walked around the produce aisle until we found his mom.  By this time, her daughter was no longer MIA.  She was sitting in the top of the cart pouting.  I limped over to the young woman, and said" I believe this young lad belongs to you."  "Marco!"  Her voice was stern,  but I could see the relief in her face.  I understood exactly that feeling of frustration and relief.  My children were hellions if they weren't in my cart.
     I walked away smiling, remembering my children when they were little, wishing I could go back.  Smiling because I had such a good belly laugh in the grocery store, which let's face it, never happens with the price of food.  Smiling at the thought that perhaps I'm not as warped in my humor as I thought.
     Thank you Marco and Juliet, you made my day!

Comments

Popular Posts